Obesity is not about sizes but how sick you are. Kids these days have adopted a sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits which has led to obesity being much more rampant.
Obesity in childhood could be due to various reasons:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Genetic disorder
- Lack of physical activity
- Excessive eating
- Improper food consumption etc
Unlike few years back, lot of food chains have opened at every nook and corner, these food courts are mostly factories of empty calories.
Now what does empty calories mean?
Every food consumed has nutrients, be it vegetarian or non-vegetarian. The nutrients are of two types MACRO and MICRO nutrients.
Macro nutrients include body building elements like carbs, protein, fats while Micro nutrients include body supporting elements like vitamins and minerals.
Together MACRO and MICRO nutrients give us energy. The amount of energy we get from a particular food is called calories.
If these calories are filled with nutrients, then they build our body.
If the same calories do not have nutrients and mainly just simple carbs and fat, then we call it EMPTY CALORIES.
The empty calories during childhood is what mostly results in childhood obesity or aggravates its hazards.
Hazards of childhood obesity:
Health Risks Now
Childhood obesity can have a harmful effect on the body in a variety of ways. Obese children are more likely to have:
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD). In one study, 70 percent of obese children had at least one CVD risk factor, while 39 percent had two or more.
- Increased risk of impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Breathing problems, such as sleep apnea and asthma.
- Joint problems and musculoskeletal discomfort.
- Fatty liver disease, gallstones and gastro-eosophageal reflux (i.e., heartburn).
- Obese children and adolescents have a greater risk of social and psychological problems, such as discrimination and poor self-esteem, which can continue into adulthood.
Health Risks Later
Obese children are more likely to become obese adults. Adult obesity is associated with a number of serious health conditions including heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.
Medical weight management programs and bariatric surgery may be recommended to reverse these life-altering and life-threatening health conditions and to help your adolescent get started on the path to lifelong health.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
Obesity is clearly associated with largely decreased life expectancy and quality.
That means it’s a killer lying in waiting for our kids.
POINTS TO SAVE OUR KIDS FROM OBESIY:
- At least 30mins of physical activity 4 times a week.
- A good 9hrs of sleep at night,not more and not less.
- A healthy meal pattern, 3 big meals and 3 small meals (home made food at least 5 times a week)
A FOUR MONTH WELLNESS@HOMEOMANTRA PROGRAM PLAN WILL ENSURE A HEALTHY TRANSFORMATION FOR YOUR CHILD.
We ensure that your child enjoys his time with us at Homeomantra, we do not believe in crash course, we believe in life transformation and making practices a part of our life.